Module 1


Most múlik pontosan

by Csík Zenekar
(Hungary)
Orchestration: Violin, guitar, viola, bass, accordion, voice


I am thrilled to be able to discuss this piece of music this week. After living in Hungary for a year while completing a research grant, I became fascinated with Hungarian culture. In Hungary, the country's folk music still plays an invaluable role; Hungarians value their folk music and a large segment of the population knows and recognizes traditional folk songs. 

This band is called Csík Zenekar. I think they are a fascinating example of the modernization of Hungarian folk music. This song, "Most múlik pontosan" is a traditional Hungarian folk song. The band, however, has found a lot of mainstream success in Hungary, performing all over the country and in neighboring European countries as well. Their shows often include modern versions of folk songs as well as a modern concert experience. The study of ethnomusicology helped to preserve the songs that Csík sings and it is important for world music pedagogy to include the information that ethnomusicology gathers as a way to understand the music of other countries. In Hungary, one cannot understand the success of a band like Csík without having knowledge of the folk music tradition and its importance to the Hungarian people. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,
    I think it is wonderful that you were able to spend a year in Hungary and immerse yourself in the Hungarian culture. I am sure you have some wonderful stories you can share regarding your time over there. Hungarian folk music is still very prevalent in their culture and many people are familiar with the music. I enjoyed listening to the song you selected for this week's post. Did your time in Hungary have any impact on your teaching and your use of world music in the classroom?

    I think you are exactly correct with your views regarding the importance and significance of ethnomusicology, especially in regards to the song you selected. Without the knowledge and background information from an ethnomusicologist, the preservation of these songs would cease to exist and we would lose much of the background and history behind the Hungarian culture and folk music tradition. Without the valuable knowledge from ethnomusicologists, we would not be able to understand other another country's culture and music traditions as well as we do now. I hope that you have been able to integrate some of your interest and passion for Hungarian folk music into your teaching. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment